Posted 21/2/09  Updated 13/2/09


Important Information For People Affected by Bushfires




Emergency Relief Centres and Recovery Centres

Grants and other financial assistance



Law & Advice


Livestock & Animals


Essential Water Replacement

Domestic Animals

Wildlife Rescue

Public Transport Assistance For Bushfire Victims


Equipment, Labor & Other Assistance

Fire Recovery and Response Notes

Want To Help

Bushfire Information Lines and Contacts






It is recommended that those people who are affected by the fires register their names at one of the centres below:


Emergency relief centres

Council Information lines and Recovery Centres





Centrelink: 180 2211  The Australian Government is providing immediate, additional assistance to the people who have been adversely affected by the series of bushfires in the state of Victoria, which commenced on 29 January 2009 and may continue into March 2009. Payments of $1,000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child, will be available where, as a direct result of the Victoria fires:

For more information on eligibility or if you have any queries contact Centrelink on 180 2211 or go to

Financial Assistance

An emergency grant of up to $1,067 is available per household for immediate and urgent accommodation, food and personal needs. The amount of each grant is based on need.


Superannuation fund members affected by bushfires can contact the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority for information about early access to their superannuation on compassionate grounds. Tel: 1300 131 060





Anyone requiring emergency, short and long term accommodation can contact DHS on tel: 1800 006 468 or 1300 650 152.


Those left homeless by the bushfires are able to access emergency accommodation through Office of Housing staff at the relief centres in their area, or by calling the accommodation line on 1800 006 468.


Offers of Accommodation

An emergency telephone number has been set up to allow Victorians to register spare accommodation that can be provided to those left homeless from the state's horrific bushfires. The toll-free Victorian Bushfire Accommodation Donation Line number is 1800 006 468 and there are 40 lines with operators on standby from 8am to 8pm.


Temporary living and re-establishment grants:

A temporary living and re-establishment grant is available to people whose principal place of residence has been made uninhabitable by bushfire.

Dealing with financial matters after an emergency

This website outlines some of the support services available as well as identifies important considerations that may be helpful when trying to manage finances in the aftermath of an emergency.





Bushfire & Your Health


Coping with Stress


Health Issues and Advice Department of Human Services tel: 1300 650 172 or go to






Law Institute of Victoria is providing free legal advice for people affected by the bushfire crisis. Members are offering half an hour of free initial advice to people with bushfire related legal problems. People seeking legal assistance can receive referrals according to local area, area of law, preferred language and other specific requirements. They can access the service via phone or e mail through the LIV: Telephone: (03) 9607 9550 ( 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday) Online: Email:


State Trustees has set up a phone line to advise those who have lost loved ones or whose legal documents have been destroyed in the fires. This service will include advice on funeral arrangements, tracing next of kin, wills and enduring powers of attorney. Tel: 9667 6073.


Victorian Supreme Court has assigned two staff members to answer questions about wills. Call Raelene Smith (9603 9286) or Rose Gontran (9603 9284).





Fire Recovery Fencing

Southern Wire, an Australian based farm fence manufacturer with strong connections to rural communities, is offering its services free for fire recovery fencing. The services they are offering include specialised machinery and skilled operators, training for locals, transport of materials. The have in the past coordinated fencing recovery  in fire ravaged areas including training days, machine use, transport of wire materials on farm and product support.


For a product guide and more information contact Brenton Moore (State Manager - Southern Wire Pty Ltd) 45 Graham Ct, Hoppers Crossing, VIC 3029, tel: 9369 7644, fax: 8360 8764, mob: 0458 240 270, email:


Reimbursement of Insurance Excess for Bushfire fencing$file/Bushfire%20management%20fact%20sheet.pdf





Help with Fire Affected Livestock$file/20090208%20vets%20on%20standby%20final.pdf





Offer of Hay ex-QLD from Granite Borders Landcare

Several members of Granite Borders Landcare (Queensland) have put together a number of loads of hay for delivery to the fire affected areas in Victoria. They would like their hay to go to a group in need that may have been outside the immediate sources of fodder. Conversely, if an area already has fodder but is in greater need for more, please contact them.


The hay is mostly Rhodes Grass and some Lucerne, with some producers offering millet or anything else they may have. Bale sizes range from small standards to large 3’x3’x7’ and 4x4 round bales. If a group has a preference please indicate in your reply. There will be no charge at all for the hay and delivery. They have raised money and fuel suppliers have come on board to support the transport.


Please contact Tim Bonner (Stanthorpe QLD, who is acting for and on behalf of Granite Borders Landcare) email: or or mobile: 0429 919 910. Granite Borders Landcare can be contacted at or 0267363500 (Elizabeth or Jennie).


We are not aware of any potential weed risk however, groups or individuals need to be alert to a potential weed risk.


VFF Fodder/Agistment Line

Registration for fodder/agistment Tel: 1300 882 833 or see 

You can also offer horse agistment through the Triple R Equine Welfare Crisis Network





Fire Fighting and Essential Water Replacement

The Essential Water Replacement Scheme aims to relieve genuine hardship in the community by replenishing essential private water supplies that have been used for fire fighting by the emergency services. The water replacement scheme recognises that landholders basic water interests have to be protected. If water is used for fire fighting purposes, a reasonable and sufficient volume of essential water will be provided to sustain the:

To lodge a request for water replacement contact your local council –







RSPCA Shelters and Inspectors are working around the clock to provide emergency assistance to animals injured as a result of the bushfires. Phone 03 9224 2222 to donate today – 100% of donations will support animals affected by bush fires.


How the RSPCA is helping bushfire victims:


Emergency assistance: the RSPCA is offering emergency assistance to animals injured in the bushfires. Emergency advice is available at 9224 2222. The RSPCA are also providing free veterinary care to animals in need at their RSPCA Burwood and Pearcedale Veterinary Clinics and are offering financial assistance to cover expenses provided by other vets. For information about veterinary financial assistance only, phone 9224 2251 or 0405 015 794 during 8am - 6pm. For all other enquiries please phone 9224 2222.


Pet supplies: the RSPCA has delivered emergency pet food supplied by Hill’s Pet Nutrition to relief centres. Please see the relief centre organiser for more information.


Lost & found: we are working to reunite lost pets with their families. Please click here to register a pet that you have either lost or found. If you have the capability to transport and animal that you have found from the bushfires, please take it to one of the following RSPCA shelters:

Temporary accommodation: They are providing temporary accommodation to animals at their Shelters across Victoria. If your pet needs emergency accommodation - phone 9224 2222.


More info:


Lost Dogs Home


The Lost Dogs’ Home would like to offer free pet identification tags and microchipping services for the domestic animals that have survived with their owners. The Home can set up a mobile station to issue microchips and identification tags on the spot. If pets are already microchipped, The Lost Dogs' Home can update owner contact details as many will no longer have phone numbers or a residential address.


For more information, please contact Kevin Apostolides on 9321 8757 or you can make a donation to contribute to the purchase of veterinary medicines required to treat burnt or injured dogs and cats. Or go to


Lort Smith Animal Hospital


Lort Smith staff are currently working with State emergency services, other animal welfare agencies and vets to provide aid and assistance for companion animals and wildlife injured in the fires. As part of their relief program Lort Smith is providing:

They are working with Wildlife Victoria in setting up and staffing triage stations to treat the thousands of kangaroos, koalas and other native wildlife, as well as domestic companion animals that have been injured and we are providing specialised care here at the hospital for any injured animal in need.


If anyone would like to help they can make a donation to their “Bushfire Appeal for Animals” on the right of this page or donate pet food and blankets here at the hospital in North Melbourne for collection and distribution.


For offers of accommodation for small domestic animals please contact Animal Aid


Dogs in need of care


Fun4Paws is currently offering emergency respite care to the animals affected by the bush fires. However, there are many more animals than they have carers. There are large numbers of owners with nowhere to place their dogs. If you are able to offer a place to a dog in your home, please contact Lynne Fitzsimmons (0428 844 810 or or Luke Williams (0415 104 044 or and they will coordinate.




Are urging property owners to safely patrol their properties for sick and injured wildlife. Areas you could expect to find wildlife include dams and fence lines. If you find any wildlife please call the following number: Wildlife Victoria 1300 094 535. For financial donations please visit


Help for Wildlife

Has info about assisting injured wildlife. Go to or call 0417 380 687




The Brumby government, in conjunction with Vline, Connex, Yarra Trams and the bus industry, will provide free travel until 1 October 2009 to individuals and families who have lost their homes in the recent bush fires. Free public transport will be provided to individuals and families who have lost their homes and have received one of the following grants from the Department of Human Services (DHS)

Individual passes will be issued to all residents including children of the property that has been lost in the bushfires.  Information on how to apply for the grants is available from the DHS website





Red Cross: 1800 811 700


Salvation Army: 137 258  


Brotherhood of St Lawrence: 


St Vincent de Paul:


Via Westpac: Bush Fire Appeal





Local Councils: People seeking assistance should also contact their local municipal council to ensure they are aware of the full range of assistance available to those affected by fire or other emergencies - 


Land Rover Owners Club Mobile Landcare Group: are able to mobilise group members with Land Rovers to remove and re-erect fencing, cleanup areas, clear and open roads and access tracks, transport food and equipment and other volunteers in their 4wd vehicles. Please call David McKinnon on mobile: 0411 410 568 or email:





DPI - Fire Recovery & Response Notes





Information for people wanting to help


ABC Radio Melbourne - Click on the big "How can I help box", which has a great list of places you can go to provide different items.



The Victorian Government is helping to coordinate the support for communities affected by bushfire. Individuals willing to volunteer time and skills should call the Information Victoria Bushfire Volunteer Hotline on 1300 366 356 or complete the Individual Registration Form If you can offer assistance at a business or corporate level, please complete the Business Registration Form





CFA Information line: 1800 240 667


DSE: 1800 240 667 fire (Department of Sustainability and Environment)


DPI: 136 186  (Department of Primary Industries)



Please feel free to contact me if you need further information.


John Robinson
Upper Maribyrnong CatchmentCare Coordinator
Port Phillip & Westernport Catchment Management Authority


Phone: (61 3) 9218 5611

Mobile: 0417 518 913
Fax: (61 3) 9218 5600

Postal address: 

PO Box 2435, Sunbury, VIC 3429, Australia


Based at:

PPWCMA satellite office

Level 1, 36 Macedon Street, Sunbury , Victoria, Australia