Posted 22/7/09 




With Council

With the Office of Local Government

With the Ombudsman




With Council:

Macedon Ranges Councillor Code Of Conduct




17.      A complaint about an alleged breach of this code of conduct by a councillor should be made in writing to the Mayor.


17.1   A complaint about an alleged breach of this code of conduct by the Mayor should be made to the Chief Executive Officer.


17.2   Where an alleged breach of this code is reported to the Mayor or the Chief Executive Officer he or she must determine whether or not the breach is of a sufficiently serious nature to call for investigation by a “Conduct Committee”. If so the matter is to be referred to such a Committee to be dealt with in accordance with this Code.


17.3    Where the Mayor or Chief Executive determine not to convene a ‘Conduct Committee ‘ to make enquiries into the alleged breach of the code of conduct they will give the complainant the reason/s in writing.

Mayor's Contact Details

Councillor John Letchford,

Mayor, Macedon Ranges Shire Council

PO Box 151,

Kyneton, 3444.

0401 682 364




With the Office of Local Government, Victoria

2009 Guide To Councillor Conduct Arrangements


Council Governance


Use the following link to obtain information from Local Government Victoria on the following and more issues:


Local Government Office's Contact Details


Street Address

Level 8

55 Collins Street

Melbourne Vic 3000



Postal Address

GPO Box 2392

Melbourne Vic 3001



Telephone: (03) 9651 7026

Fax: (03) 9651 7269




With the Ombudsman Victoria


You can complain to Ombudsman Victoria if you are unhappy about the way you have been treated by:

The Ombudsman investigates complaints made against staff who work for government departments, statutory authorities and local councils.


The Ombudsman has a team of experienced enquiry and investigation officers who handle enquiries and complaints received by the office.



Before making a complaint


Before making a complaint to the Ombudsman, you should first try to resolve your concerns with the authority concerned. Most public bodies have established complaint handling processes and can provide you with advice on how to go about making a complaint or seeking a review of a decision made by the authority.


Some useful tips for making a complaint to an authority


For more information, please refer to  tips on making a complaint to a Victorian public sector agency.pdf (283KB)

Contact us


Making a Complaint


If you wish to make a complaint to the Ombudsman, please use the Complaint Form



9613 6222 (international callers 0011 + 61 + 3 + phone number)
Toll Free: 1800 806 314 (regional only)


TTY via the National Relay Service (

(a phone solution for people who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment)

on 133 677 or 1300 555 727



9614 0246


Reception hours:

9.00am - 5.00pm

Monday to Friday


Interpreter service

Via telephone - 131 450

On-site - 1300 655 082





Ombudsman Victoria

Level 9, 459 Collins Street (North Tower)

Melbourne  Victoria  3000


DX: 210174